Monday, July 12, 2010

Advice for People with Celiac Disease

· Avoid salad dressings and anything seasoned, as there is hidden wheat flour to add volume to the seasoned items

· Purchase some good quality Gluten-free All purpose flour – it can typically be substituted on a one-for-one ratio for normal recipes. I enjoying baking, I am not going to let GF affect my love for food.

· Highly recommend joining a support group, online discussion forums, specific associations for your disease/diagnoses. Once I discovered like-minded (similar body issues) individuals, and read their stories of struggles, I felt somewhat normal again. In some weird way it helped me accept it and embrace a new lifestyle change.

· Don’t focus on what you can’t have; focus on what you can have

· Change your relationship with food. Don’t look at the food, or someone eating the food you want to eat with envy. You have to admit it looks good, but your body considers it a toxin. You are poisoning (attacking) your own body when ingesting said food. Trust me, I find it very difficult to pass by a bakery or not have a donut with my coffee, but my mental focus is now programmed to not crave those items.

· Although expensive, I shop at all-natural organic food stores. Walk through a similar store sometime, and investigate which options may fit into your diet. Also, I know you live in Michigan; Meijer has a Gluten-Free section in their stores. The GF food is pricey, however it is a small price to pay for good health. I will sacrifice other expenses (entertainment, for example) to have good food in my body and to feel well. There is nothing better than feeling well.

· Careful with the milk (lactose) intake for a while. As we have damaged ileum, it is harder for the body to digest – hence lactose intolerance. However once the villi heal up, lactose digestion shouldn’t be an issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment